“History of Barn Building in NY State"

Date:  Saturday, March 4th 2006  Time:   1-3PM

A Presentation by Randy Nash

(this is a free program is open to all)

Presented to the Community by the Fabius Historical Society

with a grant from The Cultural Resources Council

PlaceFabius-Pompey High School Auditorium

        on Mill St. in Fabius, NY

Directions:   Rt. 81 to Tully (Rte. 80) exit, East on Rte. 80 to   Fabius Village and right on Mill Street off Rte. 80.

This presentation is a  historical and educational treat for anyone who loves and appreciates barns and the romantic rural community that they sustain.  The barn is a common artifact that everyone is familiar with; we drive to the country to view them and they are favorite subjects for photographers and painters.  Randy will give us the background knowledge to look at them in a different way.  The barns of our state have evolved historically through several eras and usages, "which is written in the fabric of the building."

Randy Nash is well-known in the state for his knowledge of NYS barns.  The owner of New York State Barn Co., Inc., he has been studying and preserving barns in the state for 25 years and has personally worked on over 150 buildings.  He has lectured throughout the state on the history and development of barns for 15 years and has also taught a barn history course at University College.  A native of Pompey and lifelong resident of NYS, he and his family live in a Dutch barn converted into an energy-efficient home in Cazenovia.

posted by:

Bill & Joanne Casey
Casey Organic Dairy Farms
PO Box 36