There are definitely groups assisting with African American genealogy. The
Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society, headquartered in
Washington, DC, have chapters across the country. It is listed on the web.
Many of its members have been involved with tracing their American ancestry.
Personally, I have traced my ancestry, as well as others. Perhaps my best
known study traces back to 1619 and Anthony Johnson, through his
granddaughter Jone Johnson, who married the Indian John Puckham in 1682. I
have several writings in African American Historiographic Genealogy. Copies
are at the NY Public Library and the NYS Library.

Harry Bradshaw Matthews, Associate Dean

and Executive Director, USCT Institute

Hartwick College

http://www.hartwick.edu/usct/usct.htm