In a message dated 11/4/2005 6:14:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Good morning.
>
> Last year the fine historians on this list provided me direction on both
> flintlock guns and Dutch sailing sloops, both subjects part of an historical
> novel I'm writing dealing with slavery in Dutch New York.
>
> Today I am asking for help finding a translation for this Dutch children's
> song:
>
>     “Trip a trop a tronjes
>  De varken in de boonjes.
>     De keojes in de klaver
>     De paardeen in de haver.
>     De eenjes in de waterplass
>     So grootmiess kleine joris wass.”
>
> I have come up empty-handed on my own devices. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Susan Rosenberg
>  Delmar, NY

Hello Susan,
This "rhyme of the nursery" appears in The Early History of Saugerties-
1660-1825 by Benjamin Myer Brink, pg. 325. Brink states "Among the pleasing
recollections of every one brought up from infancy in a home where the parents were
able to speak Dutch there is one that ever haunts the memory with its strains.
It is that of the rhymes of the nursery. Who that was ever trotted on the knee
of such a father can forget "Trip a trop a troontjes?" This might be rendered
into English:
Trip a trop a troontjes,
The pigs are in the bean vines,
The cows are in the clover blooms,