  _____

From: A LISTSERV list for discussions pertaining to New York State history.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herb Hallas
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NYHIST-L] A translation for this Dutch children's song

I asked a friend of mine in The Hague for help and this is what he wrote:

my GOD what is this ??? I am 61 bloodyone and have heard EVERY childrensong
around but have NEVER heard this one ??? And even Wim at the tender age of
80 does not know this children rhyme  :>)

  _____

     "Trip a trop a tronjes

The title does not mean anything to me  must be EXTREMELY DOUBLE DUTCH  :>)

 De varken in de boonjes.

HET varken in de boontjes

( The pig goes with the beans) .......   Must be some sort of meal

De keojes in de klaver

De koetjes in het klaver

De litlle cows in the clover         ( meaning the cows are eating clover)

De paardeen in de haver.

De paarden in het haver

The horses do get oats

De eenjes in de waterplass

De eendjes in de waterplas

The small ducks are in a waterpuddle

So grootmiess kleine joris wass."

Zo was grootmoeders kleine Joris

That's how grandma's litlle Joris was   (Joris is an sort of old fashioned
Dutch boys name)

Herb Hallas