FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: DEBBIE J. STACK, (315) 451-6138;

September 15, 2005

Olde-Tyme Harvest Celebration at the Witter Agricultural Museum

Saturday, September 24:  10 am – 4 pm

Step back in time to enjoy an old-fashioned harvest celebration at the Witter Agricultural Museum (http://www.nysagsociety.org/friendsofwitter.htm), located at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY.  The event, which will run from 10am to 4pm on Saturday, September 24, will feature demonstrations by crafters, blacksmiths, and square dancers; contests; exhibits; music; food; and special presentations by two agricultural leaders.  This first-time event is a salute to our rich agricultural heritage.

Our youngest visitors will be charmed by the farm animals in our petting zoo.  The Colonial Rug Hooking Guild will host their biennial rug show with its displays of rugs, ornaments, wall-hangings, and more in our Museum’s textile room.  In our wood room visitors will watch a chair-maker at work and marvel at an exhibit of hand-carved farm equipment.  Other activities include a scavenger hunt, butter-making, square-dancing, and performances of “olde-tyme” music.  Black-smithing demonstrations will be ongoing throughout the day in our adjacent Carriage Museum.  Craft items, perfect for gift-giving, as well as foods, including sandwiches, cookies, cider, and more will be available.

We’re proud to host special presentations by two well-known New York State agriculturalists. At 1l:00 am Bob Bitz, of Plainville Turkey Farm, will share his family history in a presentation entitled, A Farm in Plainville.  Mr. Bitz will talk about the development and demise of the small family farm and the growth of today’s large farms, using his family’s experience at Plainville Turkey Farm, which dates to 1835.

At 1:00 pm,  Dick McGuire, who recently was presented with the American Farm Bureau Federation’s Distinguished Service Award, its highest honor, will tell of his experience farming with horses on a small dairy farm, to becoming Commission of Agriculture and Markets for New York State.  His story takes us through the dramatic changes in agriculture that occurred in the 20th century.

We also encourage visitors to enter our Biggest Pumpkin, Tallest Corn Stalk, and Favorite Historic Agricultural Photo Contests.  Competitors don’t need to sign-up ahead of time- they can just bring their pumpkins, corn stalks, or favorite agriculture-related photographs and enter our contests that day.  Prizes will be awarded and there are no fees to enter.

Children under 16 are free.  Parking, adjacent to the Museum, is also free.  A $2.00 per adult donation is suggested.  For more information, please call the Witter Agricultural Museum at 315.487.7711 (ext.1322).

posted by:

Bill Casey
PO Box 36
1136 Berry Road