So I read those and except the accidently over heard one I don't see how they relate to music. And isn't it 'high on the hog'? Though I'm a computer geek I'd still go with Comic Sans MSGramercy Park. On Feb 28, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Edward Knoblauch wrote: To my surprise, the weight of scholarly opinion is that "up to G" comes from the musical key of G. From Jonathan Evan Lighter. The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang. Vol. 1 (1994) (note the variant following line, 'on the hog' rather than 'are wand'rers'): Up in [or to] G [alluding to the key of G in music] superlative; doing very well; at or to a high point. 1884 Accidentally Overheard, p.15: "The young lady next door .is up in solos in G." 1894 C. Lawlor & J. Blake "Sidewalks of N.Y." (pop. song) Things have changed since those times, some are up in "G"/Others they are on the hog. 1894 Harper's (Dec.) 104: "I've got to get a mother; what I mean is a real way-up-in-G one I mean to say a mother that's out of sight, m'm." 1895 Harper's (April) 786: "You get everything way up in G there, with cakes on the side. 1895 Townsend, Edward W. "Chimmie Fadden," Major Max, and Other Stories. The American Short Story Series, Vol. 82. p.5 "Say, I knowed ye'd be paralyzed wen ye seed me in dis harness. It's up in G, ain't it? Dat's right." ----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Cassidy To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 9:51 AM Subject: Re: Musical Sidewalks of New York I still agree with my brother its more likely 'g' for gaol for Sing Sing. On Feb 24, 2005, at 12:34 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote: Things have changed since those times, some are up in "G" Wild guess: Key of G. Better than G train, at least. Christopher Gray Jazz is freedom. - T. Monk 0000,0000,DDDDJazz is freedom. - T. Monk