Re: NYSDEC question
On the basis of dates on annual reports:

Forest Commission, 1885-1894
Fisheries, Game and Forests Commission, 1895-99
Forest, Fish and Game Commission, 1900-1910
Conservation Commission 1911-1926
Conservation Department, 1927-1969
Department of Environmental Conservation, 1970-

cheers,
phil

I collect items relating to the New York State Conservation Department, e.g., pins, patches, posters, signs, etc. I believe that the departments name sequence went like this:

New York State Conservation Commission
New York State Conservation Department
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

I believe that the NYS Conservation Department became the NYSDEC around 1970. Does anyone know the exact year?

Do any of you know when the NYS Conservation Commission became the NYS Conservation Department?

Was there another name prior to the NYS Conservation Commission?

Thanks for your help. Les Buell

--
Philip G. Terrie
Professor, American Culture Studies