Mike,

Generally works published before 1978 are protected by copyright for 75 years. However, copyright is a complicated issue. Although it is probably safe to say that a work published in a newspaper from 1905 is in the public domain, I’d recommend contacting the publisher of the newspaper before you reprint it. More information on copyright is available in “Copyright Basics”, a publication of the Library of Congress’ Copyright Office. This is available at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/intprop/circ1.html.

You may also want to consult LC’s “How to investigate the Copyright Status of a Work” http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/intprop/circ22.html.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached at (607) 547-1473 or via email: [log in to unmask]

Melissa McAfee

Research Library Director

New York State Historical Association

The Farmers' Museum