Mike,

Generally works published before 1978 are protected by copyright for 75
years. However, copyright is a complicated issue. Although it is
probably safe to say that a work published in a newspaper from 1905 is
in the public domain, I'd recommend contacting the publisher of the
newspaper before you reprint it. More information on copyright is
available in "Copyright Basics", a publication of the Library of
Congress' Copyright Office. This is available at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/intprop/circ1.html.
You may also want to consult LC's "How to investigate the Copyright
Status of a Work"
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/intprop/circ22.html.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me
directly. I can be reached at (607) 547-1473 or via email:

Melissa McAfee
Research Library Director
New York State Historical Association
The Farmers' Museum