I have never seen Newspaper microfilm copywrited before by and historical
society or library.  I would think the only one who could copywrite the newspaper
was the publisher.

This is actually fairly common, and protects the effort and hard work of the microfilmer.  Its not the paper itself that is copyright, it is the medium in which it is presented.  The copyright on the microfilm cannot stop you from printing out copies, or so I understand, but it can prevent you from making a new reel of film without permission, which is only fair.

This is also different from restrictions that may be imposed upon it by the publisher, microfilmer or even a library that holds the originals or films.  A number of years ago I found a hard-to-find source in the wonderful archives at Cornell Univeristy, but the restrictions upon it made it virtually impossible for me to use it in the way I needed.  Fortunately I found a copy on e-bay for $20.00.  That solved everything and when I get it posted on my web pages I will hold the copyright to my electronic version.  Learning a trick from various businesses, I include little traps that do not compromise the material but can be used in court to prove that it is my work should some unscrupulous scoundrel abscond with all my work and claim it as their own.

Just ask permission.  I have been ignored in most of my requests, laughed at for some, but never turned down.

Dan W.