I pass along this inquiry about Mozart Hall on behalf of Martin Wacksman, a visitor to my web biography of C. Godfrey Gunther, the NYC Civil War mayor who had been president of the governing board for the city's correctional and charitable institutions: http://www.correctionhistory.org/html/chronicl/gunther/guntherlist.html

Chapter 3 of that seven-chapter bio mentions that Mayor Fernando Wood's attempt at re-election in 1961 as a Mozart Hall Democrat was thwarted by Gunther running as Tammany's nominee, thereby enabling George Opdyke to become the city's first Republican mayor.

Mr. Wacksman, who lives in Virginia, is a student of German-American history, particularly that involving use of the Mozart name in association with German-American activities. He is doing research for an article on the many such useages. I shared with him what I could gather about Manhattan's Mozart Hall from such standard sources as Ken Jackson's "Encyclopedia of NYC," Gustave Myers' "The History of Tammany Hall," and Mike Wallace and Ed Barrow's "Gotham."

Active in the Mozart Society of America, Mr. Wacksman had follow-up questions of the kind that other subscribers to this list are more likely than me to be able to answer or, at least, point the way to answers:

His questions relate more to the building and its sponsors than to Wood's political organization, assuming such a distinction can be made. The sense one gets from reading the standard sources cited is that Wood's organization got its name from meeting in the building rather than the hall got its name from Wood's organization.  Specifically, Mr. Wacksman asks:

*When was the Mozart Hall building in Manhattan established as such?
*What was the original purpose of the Mozart Hall building?
*Who or what organization established the building and named it Mozart Hall?
*Why was it called Mozart Hall?
*When and why (fire? bankruptcy?, etc.) did it cease to exist (the building, not the political organization founded by Wood)?

I will gather any answers appearing on this list and forward them to him. For those who want to respond directly to Mr. Wacksman, his e-mail is [log in to unmask]
Thomas C. McCarthy
New York Correction History Society
General Secretary/Webmaster
www.correctionhistory.org

New York City Dept. of Correction
Director of Historical Services
66-26 Metropolitan Ave. (Correction Academy)
Middle Village, NY 11379
(718) 417 2315 (voice mail)
(718) 417-2326 (fax)