I mentioned that I found it interesting that Jane McCrea was buried next to the Black Watch Campbell for the following reasons.

First, I have seen both David Jones and another Duncan Campbell mentioned as the fiancee.  It was obviously not the Fort Ti Campbell because of the age difference which was quite considerable.  Campbell was 55 years old when he died, a veritable geriatric for those times. But he is buried next to Jane McCrea but also near his wife, Ann, who was with him at Fort Ti.   Indeed, he had a son, Alexander, who was a Captain in the Black Watch and was also wounded at the French Lines.The point is that I read Campbell was moved by his relatives, the Gilchrists, who were actually his wife's relatives, I think, and all these people, Jane McCrea, Ann Campbell, Duncan Campbell, are buried near each other (a family burial plot?) in the cemetery.  Therefore, I also believed the fiancee was a Campbell, because he would have wanted her buried near his family.

Daniel Martin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 10:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Jane McCrea - Ft. Edward

  It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that Jane McCrea was engaged to an officer named Jones, not Campbell.  I haven't checked to be sure.  But I think Jones was a British officer with Burgoyne, and he had local Loyalist connections, I think.  Also, wasn't Jane from New Jersey (?) and wasn't she staying with a friend at Fort Edward, a widow Campbell?  The whole story deserves more research.  The McCrea killing captured the attention of the Americans, but a far worse, much more horrible atrocity occurred almost at the same time in present Washington County.  This was the murder of the entire Allen family, including an infant child.  And this is almost entirely forgotten.