In a message dated 12/20/2002 10:00:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that Jane McCrea was engaged to an officer named Jones, not Campbell.

According to the accounts described in Richard Ketchum's SARATOGA she was involved with a local man, David Jones, who had gone to Canada to join a Loyalist company, Peter's American Volunteers.

Jane was born in New Jersy but had relocated to Fort Edward after the death of her parents. She had been living with her brother John, a colonel in the New York militia but at the time of her death was staying with a Mrs.McNeil.

Also of interest are a period account of a British officer and an exchange of letters between General Gates and Burgoyne mentioning the subject reproduced in THE SPIRIT OF SEVENTY-SIX as edited by Commager and Morris.

Ketchum also relates details of the Allen massacre. The period Gates letter seems to refer to it as well but does not mention the Allen name.

                         Kevin Richard-Morrow