It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that Jane McCrea was engaged to an
officer named Jones, not Campbell.  I haven't checked to be sure.  But I
think Jones was a British officer with Burgoyne, and he had local Loyalist
connections, I think.  Also, wasn't Jane from New Jersey (?) and wasn't she
staying with a friend at Fort Edward, a widow Campbell?  The whole story
deserves more research.  The McCrea killing captured the attention of the
Americans, but a far worse, much more horrible atrocity occurred almost at
the same time in present Washington County.  This was the murder of the
entire Allen family, including an infant child.  And this is almost entirely
forgotten.