Joe:

I rummaged around through my entire map collection, including half a dozen worn out copies of the great Delorme NY State atlas, all my scattered field notes, etc. and found nothing but the notations on the slides saying they were from near Cossayuna, taken in April 1994.  Unfortunately, that area is one that I traveled for years in my explorations.  I long sumered with friends in Argyle, and I explored up and down just about every road and path I could find.  My recollection, though, is that it was near Riddle road, or parallel to it, in the northeast corner of Greenwhich, south of Cossayuna Lake.  I think the house was on the east side of the road (facing west) just north of where the road bends to the east.  (Yes, now tell the joke abut the old Yankee who gave directions by telling the tourists to go past where Farmer Jones' chicken house used to be.)

I had saved a sample of the mud brick but know it to be lost now.  The photos are over 8 years old, so I doubt much of the house remains.  I would be surprised if it were the only one in the area.

I've always thought that we (researchers) could apply the strategy and methodology of Bob Kuhn's Iroquois pipe and clay analysis to bricks to determine where the clay came from.  That would be interesting, for sure.  When living in Albany I got a sample of the really sticky Blue Clay and wondered what the brocks made of that stuff looked like.  I also wondered if the early Dutch had made bricks of the stuff that they had to dig out for their cellars.  That would help pin down some domestic sources for the clay rather than thinking that all the unique Dutch bricks are imports (I may be wrong on that theory).

Dan W.