A reminder ot any and all interested parties.

A Spring Dutch Barn Seminar:

May 18th, 2002

The Herkimer County Historical Society and the NWDB2000 will host this event jointly. It will be held in the HCHS building on North Main Street in Herkimer, NY, located at the four-corners historical district comprised of the Old Jail, Dutch Reform Church, Old Court House and the Historical Society buildings, plus being the site of Fort Dayton of “Drums Along the Mohawk” fame.

The indoor part of the seminar will start at 9:30 with refreshments and will run until approximately 11:00/11:30 when we will break for lunch on our own. This part of the seminar will cover 10 major questions that would benefit anyone interested in “hunting” not only Dutch barns, but old barns in general. The questions are:

  1. Where do Dutch barns grow?
  2. How long were they built in the Mohawk Valley?
  3. If they are in this part of the valley, how come they are Dutch and not Palatine?
  4. Why do Dutch barns stick out their tongues and what makes a mortise blind?
  5. What the heck is “verdiepingh” and if I can’t pronounce it why is it so important?
  6. Where do you find “2-foot marks” and why look?
  7. Scribe rule? Square rule? Whose rule?
  8. “Marriage marks”…do you find them in a single barn?
  9. Double entry, single entry, side entry, animal entry, man entry, entry-entry…??
  10. If they are Dutch barns where are the hex signs?

If you have ever asked yourself any of these questions, but didn’t give yourself a good enough answer, then you might be interested in this seminar.

The outdoor part of the seminar will be a visit to two Dutch barns. The first one an altered true form and the second one a late transitional. You will be able to put your newly-acquired knowledge to work as we explore these two barns. Neither barn is an active barn, but come dressed to visit an old barn. It is suggested you bring a pencil or pen and notebook, a flashlight and maybe a tape measure. Above all, come prepared to have a good time. Both barns are located near historic Indian Castle Church in the Town of Danube, Herkimer County, NY.

For more information contact: [log in to unmask]

Rolland Miner

Director

NWDB Survey 2000

http://nwdb2000.homestead.com/home.html