1.    After the St. Patrick's Day fire at the Windsor Hotel on Fifth Avenue in New York in 1899,  a group of New Yorkers including Chauncey Depew proposed a monument for the grave of 16 of the unidentified dead, designed by Max Bachmann.  I have an unattributed, undated clipping showing the memorial (a life size bronze statue of a woman representing grief, in front of three columns: one, perfect, to represent those who survived; a second, broken in half, to represent the dead who had been identified, and a third, broken off at the base, to represent the unidentified dead. But according to Judith Mitchell, a spokesman for the Kensico cemetery, the plot remains unmarked.

The cost was projected as a rather modest $7,500.  Does any subscriber know why the monument was not built?

2.   To secure a printable copy of a photograph of searchers combing the ruins for bodies the next day, I seek a hard copy of the New York Tribune for March 26, 1899, with its illustrated supplement (which contains the photo).  Of course the microfilmers have left little in their wake - does anyone know of a regional source for this paper >>>in hard copy?  (Historic Newspaper Archives has the paper, but without the supplement. I have also checked with three other vendors.)

Christopher Gray
"Streetscapes" Columnist, Sunday Real Estate Section
The New York Times
office:  246 West 80th Street
New York City   10024
voice:  212-799-0520