Anyone know what happened to the "Aztec Children" exhibited in New York in
1852?  It provoked wide comment, but I cannot find an account of the backer
of the exhibit, or what happened to them - did they visit other locations in
New York State?  An account from Scientific American follows my signature
line.

Christopher Gray
"Streetscapes" Columnist, Sunday Real Estate Section
The New York Times
office:  246 West 80th Street
New York City   10024
voice:  212-799-0520
fax:     212-799-0542
e:        [log in to unmask]

Scientific American,  Volume 7, Issue 17,  January 10, 1852:

The Aztec Children. There have been on exhibition for some time, at the
Society Library Room, this city, what are termed the Aztec Children. It has
been stated that they are of a race of pigmies —rather the remnant of a
race—away dewn in Central America. They have created no small sensation in
this and other cities, and we do not wonder at it; they are great natural
curiosities. We have no faith, however, in their being a distinct race from
the South American Indians, nor have we faith in the romantic story
published, about their capture and the stealing of them from the place where
it is said, they were held as objects of won- der. We believe they are Indian
dwarfs. The profile of the boy is exactly like that o' the figures found on
the ruins of those cities in Central America, described in" Stephen's Tra-
vels :" this proves conclusively that the pre- sent race of Peruvians, &c.,
are the same as those which built those ancient cities. The Aztec Children
are lively, have beautiful black curly hair, and very large black eyes. They
are very slender, and the girl appears to be. the best formed; she looks like
some Indian children, with the exception of the large eyes structure. and
curly hair. The boy would afford strong argument for a believer in the
Montboddo theory: he has some distinct trait of the Si- mian tribe. The girl
appears to be about 6 years of age, the boy 12; the height of the boy is 34
inches, the girl 29k. The upper lip of the boy projects to a great distance,
and he appears to be incapable of ejecting his spittle. They are interesting
specimens of undeve- loped humanity, and of a peculiar race of abo- rigines,
still living, but descendants of the old- est tribes in America. They are the
greatest objects of natural curiosity that we have ever seen; they are fixed
curious facts in natural history, and Prof. Agassiz could make a most
splendid article out of them, in proof of dis- tinct species of the human
race.