Some photographs from the Department of Transportation were recently offered on ebay - not modern, but vintage prints, ca. 1910.  I queried the seller (politely, I hope) with my name and address about where he got them, and did he have clear title to them.  The response I got is below - distribution to the full list may not capture his giant (panicky?) font.

Best,  Christopher Gray

From: Iconpix
To: MetHistory
Hello :  Are you an attorney ? What is your interest in this matter. Has anyone reported it stolen ?
This is a original photograph.  ANYBODY can
own a photograph.  I am not using it for
advertising or commercial purposes.  Is is
sold as " art " for your home or exhibition.
Please identify yourself properly and tell me
your personal interest and I will answer your question.

Regards Ike of iconpix