William E. Roscoe in his History of Schoharie County says that on the 24th of January 1775 an association was formed named the "Committee of Correspondence and Committee of Safety of Albany City and County." The same extended their powers and duties and were called in addition "Committee of Protection."

A Fort Klock web page www.fortklock.com/namesalbany.htm lists the names of the Albany Committee of Correspondence and adjoining precincts taken from the volume of minutes published by the State of New York in 1925. This volume given the minutes in detail under date of each separate meeting.

I am researching the September 1781 massacre of the family of Johannes Dietz at Beaver Dam (Berne), Albany County. A DAR lineage book says that Johannes was a member of the Committee of Safety of Beaverdam. While Johannes' brother William's name is on the list of the Schoharie Committee of Safety, I do not find Johannes' name on the Fort Klock web page, nor have I been able to find any other reference to a Beaver Dam Committee of Safety. Does this mean that the DAR lineage book is wrong, or am I overlooking a source?

Hal Miller