NYHIST-L Archives

May 1999

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:53:44 -0400
A critical need for any newspaper indexing project is a standard subject heading list.  Such a list needs both common nouns with appropriate see and see-also references, and proper nouns (places, organizations, geographic names, etc.) appropriate for the locale.  The Greenwich Library in Greenwich CT, 203-622-7900 for several years has indexed its newspaper.  They use a subject heading list for Connecticut newspaper indexing which I produced under a LSCA grant; this list was adapted from an earlier list developed in Flint, Michigan in the early 1970s.  Greenwich has expanded the list and kept it up to date.  I remember that a few other Connecticut libraries also used the list.  (P.S., Greenwich Library is closed and not answering the phone until about May 25 due to construction, so I haven't been able to get an update on their current indexing activities.)

If someone knows of a more modern standard subject headings for newspaper indexing, or one that has New York terminology and names, please share the info. with the list.

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 05/04 11:36 AM >>>
An independent historian in Long Island, Vincent Seyfried, is 10 years into
an abstract/index of the 3 dozen or so Queens newspapers published in the
19th century.  This is on a strictly volunteer basis, with no "funding" and
little recognition.

Is any subscriber familar with similar projects in New York State or
elsewhere?
In New York City (five boroughs), we have two principal existing newspaper
indices, the Times (1851-present) and the Tribune (1875-1906), plus several
other more limited efforts.

Christopher Gray