NYHIST-L Archives

April 1998

From:
Marla Millsap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:07:36 -0700
Today I was visiting the many antique shops in Glendale, AZ which is
located west of Phoenix. I usually hunt for old photos, but also like
collecting old letters and other paper work.

Found a paper work of the Thompson family, which resided at Mt. Pleasant in
New York. A 29 Oct 1817 receipt for payment for advertising their home
,from the office of the Columbian Dr. was attached to the newspaper
clipping cut from the newspaper. According to the lengthy ad, the home was
suit a lawyer or counsellor, as the present occupant has been many years in
the practice of the law with success.

The house for sale was located near a very respectable academy established
in the village. It was also located 34 miles from New York City.
By looking at New York maps, could this have been located in Oswego County?

A buyer was to apply to William A. Thompson, Esq. New York or the
subscriber of the newpaper Charles Thompson. (note one letter I have was
written to Mrs. Charles Thompson No. 223 Pearl Street New York and
addressed to My dear Lydia; another letter addressed to Mrs. Lydia C.
Thompson 226 fourth street New York; another letter addressed to Mrs. Lydia
C. Thompson, Woodbury in 1831)

Also a hand written speech folded pocket size, marked "Speech respecting
the Erie Canal 1820", but with no indication of writer.

I truly enjoy reading history!
Were the Thompson family an influencial family in New York? Are there any
books I can interloan about the influence of the Erie Canal on New York?

Thank you
Marla Millsap