NYHIST-L Archives

January 2007

From:
Daniel Mackay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:36:00 -0500
By the later years of his administration, the Governor was allocated ~30
million annually for discretionary disbursements, and that is the likely
source of funding you refer to.  Typically, a NYS agency is selected for
running "point" on the funds, and there is legal language re receipt and
use.  Comptroller's Office would typically review such disbursements and
legal contract terms, before authorizing the payment/award.

It has taken significant legal maneuvering to get the details from the
Senate and Assembly regarding their disbursements.  Not sure if the former
administration ever presented their aggregate data, but doubt that they did.
You'd likely have to FOIL this information from the state agencies that
administered the grants (and take a guess as to which agencies would have
had administrative responsibility).  It has never been in anyone's interest
to publish/collect this information within the bureaucracy; given their
contract/authorization review, perhaps OSC is the best bet for "one stop
shopping" on this issue.

Incidentally, I believe Governor Spitzer has stated that he has declined to
take/use his discretionary allocation this year.

Daniel Mackay