NYHIST-L Archives

November 2005

From:
Honor Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:25:11 -0500
    Hopefully someone knows more than this:

Take a Trip to Trones

Take a Trip to Tronjes (Trip a Trop a Tronjes)

1.	Ransom, Stan. I Love Long Island, Connecticut Peddler, CD (1997), cut# 3

http://www.ibiblio.org/keefer/t01.htm

Stan Ransom, The Connecticut Peddler, was born in Winsted, CT, in 1928. His maternal grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Haight Sheldon, was born in Deer Park, Babylon, L.I., in 1858. Her father, William Henry Haight, designed and built the boilers for the ironclad "Monitor." At age 6 she was hoisted on to her father's shoulders to watch Lincoln's casket as the funeral procession advanced down Fifth Avenue in New York City in 1864. She taught Stan and his siblings the Dutch children's lullaby, "Trip a Trop a Tronjes," from her Dutch forebears.
Stan Ransom, The Connecticut Peddler, distributes and shares music, folklore and songs from his large pack. The American Association for State and Local History awarded him a 1994 Certificate of Commendation for his work as a folklorist and in recognition of his achievement in the preservation and interpretation of local, state and regional history. He received this distinction once before, in 1970, in recognition of his book, "America's First Negro Poet: the Complete Writings of Jupiter Hammon of Long Island." He also originated Black Poetry Day, celebrated nationally on October 17th, the birth date of Jupiter Hammon of Huntington, who was born in 1711. Stan Ransom still loves Long Island!
Music in New Amsterdam and Long Island:  The first mention of music known or heard in New Netherlands is that of a trumpet, which was blown or played at a banquet held August 8, 1636, at Fort Amsterdam. The "musician" played so loudly that the Governor's speech couldn't be heard, and the musician was stopped. In 1673 the Commissioner for Plantations reported to the Director in Holland, "There are no musicians by trade in the whole colony." In 1687 Frances Stepney, a Boston dancing master, went to New Amsterdam and was asked to leave. Then singing by note later became fashionable, and music came to Long Island.--Mrs. Bleecker Bangs: Reminiscences of Old New Utrecht and Gowanus, 1912, p. 190ff.
Side A
1. Cape Cod Girls. 1830's capstan chantey. Guitar, mandolin, vocals.
2. Tom Bowling. By Charles Dibden (1745-1814). Thought to have been composed in memory of his sea captain brother, Thomas, who died in Indian waters. A favorite with sailors, this song was later banned from shipboard singing, as many superstitious sea captains thought it brought bad luck to sing about the death of a sailor. This song was sung by a midshipman on HMS "Royal Oak," September 26, 1780, while it was anchored off Gardiner's Island. Noted in Sarah Gardiner's "Early Memories of Gardiner's Island," 1947. Guitar, mandolin, vocal.
3. Trip a Trop a Tronjes. (Take a Trip to Tronjes). Dutch children's lullaby taught to me by my Long Island born grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Haight Sheldon. This song was taught to her by her Dutch grandparents. The song was popular in the 1600's in New Amsterdam and on Long Island. My thanks to Henny Visscher of Plattsburgh, NY, for her help with the pronunciation of Dutch words. Guitar, hammered dulcimer, autoharp and vocal.

http://www.stanransom.com/lovelong.htm

Trip a Trop a Tronjes 42

The Book of Bounces - Index

http://www.giamusic.com/music_education/feierabend/bouncesindex.html

Here is my attempt using online dictionaries:

 "Trip a trop a tronjes                 [Take a trip to Tronjes]
De varken in  de boonjes.          [The pig is in the [beans?]]
De keojes in de  klaver               [The cow is in the clover]
De paardeen in de  haver.          [The ? is in the oats]
De eenjes in de  waterplass         [The ? is in the [square?]
So grootmiess kleine joris wass." [? big child George [across/side?]

Honor

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/02/05 9:50 AM >>>
Good morning.

Last year the fine historians on this list provided me direction on both
flintlock guns and Dutch sailing sloops, both subjects part of an historical
novel I'm writing dealing with slavery in Dutch New York.

Today I am asking for help finding a translation for this Dutch children's
song:

     "Trip a trop a tronjes
De varken in  de boonjes.
De keojes in de  klaver
De paardeen in de  haver.
De eenjes in de  waterplass
So grootmiess kleine joris wass."

I have come up empty-handed on my own devices. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Susan Rosenberg
Delmar, NY