NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
Hugh MacDougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:57:33 -0500
    While a Hall of Fame can obvious set any criteria it wishes, I must in
fairness note that requiring technical birth in New York State may leave out
otherwise obvious people whose lives and careers were devoted to the State,
while including other "famous" people whose New York connection was only
accidental (nobody is responsible for where they are born) and transitory.
    I am thinking, of course, of James Fenimore Cooper (1789-1851). Though
born in Burlington, New Jersey, he was brought to Cooperstown, New York in
1790 as a babe in arms, and his whole life and writing career (except for
seven years in Europe) was spent in and largely devoted to New York State.
Certainly he is close to the top of any list of important writers clearly
associated with our State.
    This is a question the sponsors of the Hall of Fame idea may wish to
consider -- is mere birth in the State, either necessary  or sufficient for
inclusion?

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society