From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 09:44:33 -0400
Dear Philip:

I'd start with these:

A Free Soil - A Free People The Anti-Rent War in Delaware County, New York
by Dorothy Kubik. ---new book from Purple Mountain Press

Tin Horns and Calico, a Decisive Episode in the Emergence of Democracy
by Henry Christman --- a classic from the 1940s

Landlords and Farmers in the Hudson-Mohawk Region, 1790-1850
by David Maldwyn Ellis --- an other classic

For historical background, see Landlord and Tenant in Colonial New York :
Manorial Society, 1664-1775 by Sung Bok Kim, as well as the various earlier
works Kim's book is a corrective to.

Encourage your student to study this fascinating "episode"--the only mention
of North America in The Communist Manifesto is about the anti-rent movement.
We need a good scholarly treatment à la S.B. Kim on this.

Edward Knoblauch
University at Albany