From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:50:13 -0400
As is sometimes the case, as I go to verify something I'm sure of,
reference materials let me down. When I lived in Westchester we used to go
up north on day trips, often through the Carmel area and I remember seeing
a marker about Sybil, which stated she warned of the British arrival in the
area during the Revolution. I'd be willing to bet Find A Grave (which I
often refer to and have linked with) is wrong on this one.

I have in my notes that on April 26, 1777, 16-year-old Sybil Ludington
rides 40 miles warning residents of New York's Putnam County that the
British are on their way.
But cannot put my hands on the citation. Perhaps it was notes from the marker.

 I only have one qustion for doubters. Who was attacking Carmel, New York,
during the ACW?

Later:
I've found a source: Chronicle of America, Chronicle Publications, Mt.
Kisco, NY, No Date, ISBN: 0-13-133745-9, pg. 161,

To summarize:
After a messenger arrives at the Ludington residence with news, Sybil,
daughter of Colonel Ludington, offers to alert her father's militia that
British general William Tryon's troops are raiding a supply center in
Danbury, Connecticut, over the border. She leaps on her father's horse
Star, rides from Frdericksburg to Carmel, Lake Mahopac, Tompkins Corners,
and Farmers Mills and finally Pecksville. It is too late to protect Danbury
but the militia was alerted to the nearby British presence.

Hope you've enjoyed this search-in-progress.

David

>I JUST discovered the the "Find A Grave" website (http://www.findagrave.com/),
>and GUESS who's listed???
>
>>    * Ludington, Sybil.
>>      US Civil War Hero.
>>      buried at: Patterson Baptist Church, Patterson, New York.
>

>According to my trusty Delorme Guide, Carmel NY (statue site) and Patterson NY
>(burial site) are only about 5 miles apart...  HOWEVER, note that "Find A
>Grave" lists her as a Civil War hero and the original request from Mr. Lord
>said she was in the Revolution...
>
>Bonnie Glickman, Rochester, NY
>Bob Arnold wrote:
>>
>> There is a statue to Sybil Ludington in Carmel, near the County
>>Courthouse. It would be worth contacting the Putnam County Historian.

>> I took a phone inquiry from a Texas publisher trying to verify the
>>existence and historic association of this woman (either spelling) who
>>may have
>undertaken a ride to warn of a British advance in either Massachusetts or New
>York during the Revolution...

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Rochester, New York