NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
The Stones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:33:36 -0500
While tearing the roof off my kitchen (a lovely task!) I happened upon a
book buried under the insulation. It is "Freedom's Offering, A
Collection of Poems" by Joseph C. Holly, published in Rochester by Chas.
H. McDonnell, Book & Job Printer in 1853. In the preface Mr. Holly
describes himself as "the unlearned representative of an oppressed race,
who have been denied the capacity for anything intellectual..."

The little volume is 38 pages long and is in its original cover.

Does anyone out there know anything about Mr. Holly or his poems?

J.E. Carney