From:
Beverly Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:24:26 -0400
Apologies.   I sent this earlier having forgotten to switch out of the
alias used for e-mail from  my husband's website.  In case that confused
the list administrator, I send it again using my regular address.

In a book called History of the Kip Family in America (1928 privately
printed (?) - Bellevue archives, photocopy only) I find a copy of an
1848 lithograph by George Hayward titled,  "View in New-York, 1746" that

clearly shows what is now Broad Street as still being the tidal canal
built by the Dutch in 1656.  Other sources cite  Broad Street as having
been created from the canal  ca 168?.  (In her excellent Seeing New
York, Hope Cooke attributes the infill of the canal - by then a filthy
eyesore - as  in part a thank you to  Gov. Dongan for his role in
achieving a charter of rights for the city from the Duke of York.)  Can
anyone shed further light on this?

Beverly Martin