NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

From:
Hal Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:59:14 -0400
Greetings from a new subscriber.  A subscriber of H-LOCAL told me about
NYHIST-L when I made the following query:

I've recently run across a couple of references to a Marion Street in New
York City.  They can both be found in my on-line version of Charles
Haswell's _Reminiscences of New York by an Octogenarian (1816 - 1860)_ at
http://www.panix.com/~hal/octo.

Chapter 7 refers to an African-american theater company at Marion and
Houston about 1824.

Chapter 10 -- a rapid-fire history of the churches of
New York, mentions Presbyterian church, formerly Universalist, at Marion
and Prince, which Charles E. Hambrick-Stowe's _Charles G. Finney and the
Spirit of American Evangelicism_ (p95) describes as the first Presbyterian
"Free church" (i.e. free seating vs rented pews); set up by Arthur Tappan
and friends, and initially pastored by Finney.

This pinpoints Marion St to a small area, yet I've consulted modern maps,
and one early 19th century map, and can't find it.

Is anyone familiar with it? And/or does anyone know a really reliable
source for answering such questions about New York Streets (or those of
other cities for that matter) that have vanished or been renamed?

Also, is there a New York history discussion list?
   (THis has already been answered!)

Thanks,

Hal Morris ([log in to unmask])
'Tales of the Early Republic' (http://www.panix.com/~hal)
A History Web Site, Focusing on the 1830s-1840s.