NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:50:59 -0500
The 1892-93 Plattsburgh Directory lists Diaz, M. A. architect, winslow's
block, h (home) 57 Margaret (Street). The next directory we have in 1902
and he is no longer listed. A check of our newspaper indexing indicates
that articles were published in 1892 and 1895 about his designing the
Plattsburgh Opera House and another public building. If you would like to
obtain these articles, please let me know. I will forward full citations
so you can initiate Interlibrary Loan requests.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State U.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Robert J. Hammerslag wrote:

> Many years ago we had a large tinted architectural rendering of a "Proposed
> Hotel at Essex, N.Y." donated to us.  It is signed "M. A. Diaz, Architect,
> Plattsburgh, NY".
>
> The drawing is of a very large hotel building with c. 1900 patrons
> strolling with tennis racquets at the ready.  It also shows Palmettos as
> part of the landscape plantings.  These must be a very hardy type of
> Palmetto to survive the upstate NY climate!  This makes me think that Mr.
> Diaz may have practised architecture somewhere south of Plattsburgh.
>
> Does anyone have any information on Mr. Diaz?
> ---------
> Robert J. Hammerslag
> ECHO - Essex Community Heritage Organization,  Essex, New York 12936

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire