NYHIST-L Archives

October 2002

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:25:44 -0400
Judith Wellman writes to ask about the availability of several antislavery newspapers from before the Civil War.  On this and related themes, I will add:

Bobst Library, NYU, bought 2 reels of microfilm from the Library of Congress containing Frederick Douglass' Paper between 1851 and 1855.  Is the paper from 1856 to 1860 available on film?

We bought the film produced by the NYPL of the New York Age, covering from 1905 to its end.  Are the years 1887 -1904, or any part of them, available on film?

We bought the NYPL's film of the New York Amsterdam News, from 1922 and after.  Are the years 1919-1921 available on film?

We bought the NYPL's film of The Negro World, from 1923 to its end.  Are the years 1917-1922, or any part of them, available on film?

If these papers have not been microfilmed for the years in question, do they exist anywhere in paper?  It's particularly hard to believe that FD's Paper isn't around.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.