NYHIST-L Archives

October 2002

From:
Jim Folts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:08:21 -0400
The Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States (Washington: 1995), "Records of the Bureau of the Census" [Record Group 29] indicates that the National Archives holds no schedules for the Census of Agriculture after 1880. (The only exceptions are schedules for Virgin Islands, 1917; Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, and Puerto Rico, 1920 and 1930; and a handful of other schedules for other years, none for New York.)

I have heard that the US Bureau of the Census has destroyed its "special schedules" dating after 1880. As mentioned in Natalie Naylor's inquiry, the State Library in Albany holds the original manuscript schedules for the Censuses of Agriculture and Industry, 1850-1880 inclusive, and those schedules have been reproduced on microfilm. (For information on those schedules, contact the State Library at 518-474-5355; e-mail [log in to unmask])

There are several publications of aggregate, county-level data for the US Census of Agriculture since 1850 (the NYS College of Agriculture at Cornell has several bulletins containing such statistics). However, I know of no source of farm-level data after 1880.

Jim Folts
New York State Archives

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/22/02 05:05PM >>>
I have been trying (without success) to locate manuscript  schedules for the agricultural census 1890-1930 (for Queens in 1890, Nassau County 1900-1930 .-- specifically the town of Oyster Bay.  Apparently the NYS Library in Albany has these for 1860-80, but no later ones.  This is for research on Theodore Roosevelt's Sagamore Hill.
If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate them.

Natalie Naylor