NYHIST-L Archives

December 1999

Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:48:03 EST
In a message dated 11/29/1999 12:10:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< 5. The steel cables for the Brooklyn Bridge were produced at the Catalan
 forge at the foot of Chateaugay Lake from ore mined at Lyon Mountain. An
 example of 'raw materials' that fed the growth of NYC.

This is a suprise to me.  I thought the original contractor, the maker of the
defective cable, was in Brooklyn and then when that scandle of the poor cable
was unearthed, the contract went to Roeblings wire operation in Trenton, NJ.
But I would defer to any list subscriber who claimed more expertise in this
area then myself.

Jim Maguire