NYHIST-L Archives

March 2001

From:
David Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:07:16 -0800
     Some of you may want to take a look at my new article "Long Island
History on the World Wide Web" (http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/liweb.htm).
The article will also appear in the next issue of The Long Island
Historical Journal, but I am co-publishing it on the Web because of the
large number of links to online resources it contains.

     Although the first part of the article focuses on Web sites dealing
primarily with Long Island history, the rest of the article contains a good
deal of material that might be of interest to a broader audience of New
York State historians.  It includes information on searching for
information about state and local history on comprehensive Web sites, such
as the Making of America Project and the American Memory Project.  The
article also contains some observations on digital publishing in general,
and on efforts to render NYS historical materials in digital form.

David Allen
Melville Library
University at Stony Brook