From:
Jim Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:09:36 -0900
I guess I can agree only very partially with Carol Kammen's
statement that it may be painful for some children. Yes, it may be
painful for children of divorce, single parent families, etc. and a
good teacher who knows his/her students knows those students who
might find a family history project emotionally difficult to deal
with and would offer something else in its place (Carol's suggestion
of a neighborhood interview project is good).

However, children are amazingly resilient, resourceful and
insightful beings and know far more about their family situation
than parents or non-parents acknowledge. If they deal with a "different"
family situation in their daily lives, they usually have the
sensitivity and intelligence to deal with it intellectually in a
classroom situation. In fact, an "unusual" situation in modern-day
America might just be the intact, nuclear, married couple with 2.5
children in suburbia. A compound family made up of a parent with new
spouse, a family with an adopted child or children, or a family missing grandparents because they are deceased of in
Florida may make the project more challenging and interesting than
the afore-mentioned nuclear family. If we eliminate family history
as a possibility for all those children from "different" family
situations, we have eliminated another opportunity for these
children to have a positive experience in learning to live in a
family. And we have eliminated one of the primary means by which a
child may learn history. History, after-all, for an eight-year old
is much more likely to be real if it is the story of her/his father in
Vietnam or grandmother making preserves on a farm in the Forties than another
battlefield account Napoleon or another boring election race for
President.

                                Jim Corsaro

James Corsaro
Associate Librarian