NYHIST-L Archives

July 1999

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:49:07 -0400
Speaking as one of the rare non-Irish (Scot, myself) who worked for City of Albany for nearly 30 years, I can tell you that they are NOT ignored here. Buffalo and Binghamton also had very strong Irish communities, although maybe not remaining so cohesive as Albany's. The great public works of the transportation revolution brought the Irish to every place that had a turnpike, canal or railroad. In Albany, the first mention of an Irishman is one who was  a mercenary soldier-Van Dublander" - from Dublin - for the Dutch East India Company in the garrison of Fort Orange, probably in the 1620s -30s.

At 6:33 AM -0400 6/29/99, Bob Arnold wrote:
>Brewing was certainly a big business then, and Albanians in 1832 consumed
>a quarter of their own production. While I know of nothing in print, I did
>collect term papers and the like when I was Albany County Historian. Those
>files can be accessed through the Albany County Hall of Records,
>518/447-4500. Ask for County Archivist Craig Carlson or Deputy Director
>Patty Bryce.
>
>As for works on the Albany Irish, there was a thesis done at SUNY-Albany
>by a person named Rowley, about 30 years ago, that may help, and at the
>Albany Institute of History and Art there is a paper on Albany's ethnicity
>done by Jack Hotchkiss. You might also try NYS Assemblyman Jack McEneny,
>also a former Albany County Historian, for some leads.

Thanks for your help.
The Irish outside of NYC/Manhattan seem to be ignored.
I'm Brooklyn/Albany Irish.

regards

 Getting out of Long Kesh was easier than getting a job in Ardoyne. Jimmy Smyth
                                   http://www.panix.com/~cassidy