NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
Scott Monje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:13:49 -0500
In my previous message, I vaguely stated that slavery had effectively ended in western New York before it was officially abolished in 1827. Further investigation shows that there were still slaves in Seneca and Steuben Counties as late as the 1820 census.

1810 census, Slaves
Ontario 212
Seneca 101
Steuben 87

1810 Free persons other than whites, except Indians not taxed
Ontario 299
Seneca 44
Steuben 29

1820 Slaves
Ontario 0
Seneca 84
Steuben 46

1820 Free colored persons
Ontario 727
Seneca 180
Steuben 130

1830 Slaves, 0 west of Oneida County
(However, still 75 in state overall)

1830 Free colored persons
Livingston 134
Monroe 465
Ontario 455
Seneca 177
Steuben 208
Tompkins 234
Wayne 188
Yates 106
[Tompkins County was taken from Cayuga and Seneca in 1817. Livingston and Monroes were taken from Ontario and Genesee in 1821. Wayne, which includes Sodus Bay, was taken from Seneca and Ontario in 1823. Yates was taken from Ontario in 1823.]

Source: "United States Historical Census Browser"
http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/census/

Best,
Scott Monje