NYHIST-L Archives

September 2001

Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:03:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/01 2:43:00 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< The news of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor came to New York on Sunday
afternoon, December 7th.  >>

On that day, I was 9 years old and living in Brooklyn.  A neighbor, a Russian
immigrant had taken his son and I down to City Hall Park in Manhattan where
we fed  pigeons....probably just a Sunday outing.  I just remember getting
home and hearing the bad news from my parents.....somehow 3 o'clock rings a
bell.

I also remember that the air raid wardens were not too well liked because of
their so-called abuse of power when they came around at night to enforce the
"blackout" rules.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned about the Japanese internment
camps, but only on the west coast. Here in NY there was more concern about
the Nazi U-boats spotted in our area.  While it was true that the Japanese
were villified by Hollywood  (the movies) showing their heinous acts, German
nationals living in the US were worried about their status and were changing
their surnames, for discrimination reasons.

Anyway, it is a different world now and because there is no curtailment of
the immigration flow, we are now in big trouble.

Eileen