NYHIST-L Archives

August 2001

From:
Sarah Light <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:22:13 -0400
I believe the word is vendue: "2 Articles of vendue" misspelled "vandue."
"Articles to vendue the Poor belonging to the Town of..." It means articles
sold at a sale at public auction, particularly a sale made under authority
of law, as by a constable, sheriff, tax collector, etc. Cf. Black's, Rev.
4th, p. 1726.