From:
Hugh MacDougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:06:06 -0400
According to Before the Five-Borough City: The Old Cities, Towns and
Villages That Came Together to Form "Greater New York"
by by Harry Macy, Jr., F.A.S.G., F.G.B.S at
http://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=printpage&artid=45
Port Richmond, the Edgewaters, and Tottenville were Un-incorporated Villages
(i.e., hamlets), and although they are listed as having records, presumably
had no official Village institutions. The Towns in which they were located
ceased to be towns and became New York City wards in 1898. I gather that New
Brighton was an incorporated village (1866), and eventually (1872) was
extended to cover the entire town of Castleton. There were four other
Towns -- I don't know about any other incorporated villages. There were many
other unincorporated hamlets, as listed, e.g., in the the 1860 New York
State Gazetteer.

Hugh MacDougall, Cooperstown Historian