NYHIST-L Archives

December 2000

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:25:20 -0500
Apprently one cannot be a devil's advocate in the virtual world? I posed a philosophical question, not my own opinions. Please don't attach me to the ideas I put out there for discussion, which reflect some in the geenral community of preaervationists and librarians.

Philip Lord, Jr.
Director, Division of Museum Services
New York State Museum
Albany, NY
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services.html

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/05/00 10:46AM >>>
> From: Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:17:13 -0500
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Cross post from a hard-copy discarder
>
> This discussion thread is dancing around a central issue of why save anything
> original if the ultimate purpose is to preserve information and there are new
> technologically sophisticated alternatives? (I admit I am throwing gasoline on
> the fire on purpose.)
>
> There are two issues: preservation and access. Microfilming was originally
> designed to accomplish improvements in both areas. What was it that
> researchers needed from the original unstable paper that could not be had on
> microfilm (leaving aside manuscripts that could not be accurately copied due
> to color, etc.)?

good quality repro of images?

> And this applies not only to paper goods. Archeologists often record and
> discard materials that can provide no more data than the report already
> captures. With modern 3-D renderings and full color scanners, and CD-ROMS we
> seem sometime to be able to capture more data than the item originally had!

Part of that reason is the lack of storage space and preservation techniques
too Phil - just like the newspapers.  Didn't Ritchie and Funk keep
everything?

> And when it comes to mass produced materials (newspapers, coins, nails), so
> long as someone has a sample, does everyone need them all? (I am definitely
> being a devil's advocate here.)

Then why save more than one representative of a greek revival building, or,
to continue, why dig up more than one archaic site?  I think part of the
argument that as in coins, a mis-strike is considered more valuable and can
explain elements of the equipment that made them. Could you not make a wrong
assumption of when a building was built by not looking at all the nails of a
site rather than a small sample?  If you saved one round nail but there were
millions of hand forged, would you not come to the wrong conclusion about
the construction date of the site?  (all just for arguments sake of course
:)  If you were studying the evolution of newspaper, the actual paper, seems
like it might be nice to have samples of paper to analyze?