NYHIST-L Archives

September 1998

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:12:31 -0400
I would like very much to obtain a copy of the book. How to do so? I don't plan to be in Oneonta, although I am an alumnus of SUNY there.

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 09/22 9:56 AM >>>
Good Morning [from Harry Bradshaw Matthews]:

I hope that you have had an enjoyable summer. At this time, I am
pleased to inform you that the joint organizational meeting for
the United States Colored Troops Institute [USCT-I] and the
American Society of Freedmen's Descendants [ASFD] is progressing
as planned for Saturday, October 10, 1998 from 9 am to 2 pm at
Hartwick College, Oneonta, New York.

To date, more than 150 charter membership packets have been sent
out primarily upon request. They were forwarded to sites throughout
the United States. And as a reminder, the deadline for submission
for charter member status is Thursday, October 1st. Membership
cost for each organization is $25.00 payable to "Hartwick College."
I anticipate that 25-30 individuals will be present at the
organizational meeting, at which time the constitution will be
finalized and the first board of directors will be elected for
each body.

Housing arrangements have been made at the Morris Conference
Center-SUNY Oneonta, at $34 single occupancy dormitory-style;
and $45 double occupancy dormitory-style. This location was well
received by participants of the April conference.

On Friday, October 9th at 6 pm, Hartwick College will host a
dinner for the participants and invited guests. At this
occasion will be the formal introduction of my new book,
"Honoring New York's Forgotten Soldiers: African Americans
of the Civil War." Hartwick is serving as the book's publisher,
and the text is funded through matching grants from the
Upper Catskill Community Council of the Arts, Inc., and
Oneonta's Commission on Community Relations and Human Rights.
All copies paid for by the grants will be distributed free
of charge to select libraries, museums, archives, cultural
centers and select researchers. In addition, Hartwick will
soon begin preparing the proceedings publication from the
April conference. Presenters who provided essays for the
proceedings publication will also be recognized at the
October 9th dinner.

Anyone with questions regarding the above should contact
me at:

Sondhi Limthongkul Center for Interdependence
Harry Bradshaw Matthews, Associate Dean
and Director of U.S. Pluralism Programs