NYHIST-L Archives

October 1996

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
David William Voorhees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
The merits of preserving and studying the recently discovered
archaeological site in downtown Albany will be readily recognized by
historians, scholars, and the general public.  They may well, however,
escape politicians and businessmen, whose main concern is a quick return
on the dollar.  The Albany archeaological site could make a great tourist
attraction and anchor for downtown Albany, something that that city badly
needs.  Past governmental policies have virtually destroyed the city, cut
off its views of the river, and left vast areas of parking lots for
businesses which no longer exist.  That Albany is virtually a ghost town
save for the state offices is readily apparent to anyone who walks the
city's streets.  The Albany site could bring in thousands of tourists and
their dollars, much as Jamestown, Va., does, giving a boost to a badly
sagging economy, while the State Dormitory Office Building, while not only
destroying another valuable historic site, will bring in only 300 state
workers who will flee the downtown area come 5 o'clock and will add
virtually nothing to the economy of the region.

David William Voorhees
editor, Papers of Jacob Leisler
        de Halve Maen