NYHIST-L Archives

May 2005

From:
Chris Andrle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 20:51:52 -0400
It is a common myth that immigration officials changed the names of
immigrants but it probably did not happen. The immigration passenger lists
were compiled by the ship's captain or purser (who may or may not have been
of the same ethnicity as the immigrant) before the ship left port and even
then, they carried no official weight as far as name changes. In fact I've
heard that at Ellis Island, they had interpreters who spoke over 50
languages so that most or all immigrants were interviewed in their native
language. In any case, immigration officials had no authority to change
names and no documents were created by the immigration process that could
have recorded a name change.

It has been speculated that some immigrants, when asked about their name
change, replied "Ellis Island" when actually meaning the "Ellis Island
experience", that is, their arrival in a land where everyone found their
name difficult to manage, and, from personal experience, I know that
constantly correcting people's pronunciation gets so tiring after a period
of time that it finally just becomes easier to write Anderly rather than
Andrle.

Just Google "Ellis Island name change myth" and you'll find quite a few
references such as this one:
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=3893

Chris Andrle