NYHIST-L Archives

December 2003

From:
Honor Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:04:00 -0500
   This may or may not be relevant, but documents were oftend copied
into the town records of towns other than where an event took place.

Honor

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/24/03 11:42AM >>>
I knew it was but I just wanted confirmation that Jamaica indeed was on
the
other side of the East River! But I still do not understand why the men
from
the East End of Long Island (where I live) would have met Dominion of
New
England's Lt. Gov. Nicholson and the Council in Jamaica. At that time,
New
York province was part of that blanket government James II and the
Lords of
Trade had created when the various colonies' charters were revoked.

Nancy

> From: Walter Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:27:39 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: colonial Jamaica, New York
>
> Yes, the northern part of Queens County is across the river from
Manhattan
> (Queens is part of NYC).
>
> But, that part of Queens was the Town of Newtown.
>
> When Queens County was created in 1683, it included 5 towns:
Newtown,
> Flushing, Jamaica, Hempstead and Oyster Bay.  [On January 1, 1899,
the eastern
> three-quarters of Queens County, the part that was not annexed into
New York
> City
> on January 1, 1898 -- the Town of North Hempstead (the Town of North
Hempstead
> seceded from the Town of Hempstead in 1783), the Town of Hempstead
and the
> Town of Oyster Bay -- seceded and formed Nassau County.]
>
> Here's a current neighborhood map of all the neighborhoods in NYC:
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/neighbor/neighbor.pdf
>
> (Note:  I had problems in downloading this map; and, in fact, was
unable to
> do so at this time.)
>

> The neighborhood of Jamaica has sort of approximately the borders of
the
> Village of Jamaica (incorporated in 1814) and the predecessor Hamlet
of
> Jamaica,
> and this would've been the central district of the Town of Jamaica.
>

> Happy Chanukah*
>
> Walter Greenspan
>
> * This year, the 8-day Festival of Chanukah occurs from Friday
night,
> December 19 through Saturday night, December 27 on the civil
calendar.