From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:50:30 GMT
Well, that number is a little high and the time frame a little early.
Indeed, most of the early settlers of norther New York, with the exception
of the Champlain Valley, were Vermonters. But realize that until after
1800, there were almost no non-native americans in Franklin and St.
Lawrence Counties and Clinton County after about ten miles west of the
lake. In fact, a veterans tract was laid out in western Clinton and eastern
Franklin Counties following the Revolutionary War as the preferred area in
central NY needed to have titles cleared up. In the about ten years this
land was offerred to vets, exactly zero claims were made. Then the central
NY land became available and many moved there.
Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State U.