NYHIST-L Archives

January 2002

Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:58:18 -0500
Cemeteries are wonderful for being complex or not what you think
they are. Have just received the records from two caretakers here
in Saratoga County to copy and eventually get computerized. They
have closed the cemeteries for the winter.

The Scott Cemetery in the town of Greenfield was previously known
as the Wing Cemetery. I showed the man a copy of Cornelius Durkee's
work done in 1876-77 when Durkee copied most of the cemeteries
in Saratoga County.  We are most fortunate to have that on microfilm
and available for use. The Saratoga County historian's office has
it listed as the Wing-Scott cemetery. So if you were looking for
records on that, you might never find them by looking for its present
name.

Old Gurn Springs Cemetery in Wilton was previously known
as Emerson. This is not unusual so finding records might
be difficult because of name changes from earlier records as
previously recorded.

In Delaware County, my ancestors are buried in what they call
Carroll Cemetery in Trout Creek. I have the original deed signed
by the Carroll family members for the 'Trout Creek Cemetery' as
it was called by them when they started it. It is on an official
pre-printed
Trout Creek Cemetery form with places for filling in all the particulars.

There is now a Trout Creek Cemetery about 1/8th mile away and
no one calls the first cemetery anything but Carroll Cemetery. They
insisted I was wrong until I took the original to show them. Then I
went to Delhi and ran a search of all recorded deeds for both
cemeteries and showed them that it was Trout Creek Cemetery.

Talk about upset with destruction! One Memorial Day, I drove
in with my mother to decorate the graves as we had for 25 years.
The Carroll Cemetery Association decided it was tooooooo much
work to mow around everything so they broke off all of the corner
posts in the old part and broke off all of our small markers and
sunk them in the ground about the end of April. By Memorial Day,
the grass had grown over a lot of them. The pieces they broke
off were piled along the edge of the cemetery. They did not break
off any of in the old part of members who still lived around there.
Apparently they could mow around those alright. Eventually they
used all of those pieces of corner markers to mark all of their
lots in the new part. I contacted the Delaware Co. attorney and
his decision was that he felt it was not a criminal act but thought
it should not have been done. This is our property and they had
no right. The best part was that my mother had sent money when
they requested donations from decendants to cover mowing and
the amount she sent would have covered the gas for their mowers
to do the whole cemetery.  I still have the canceled check. So I then
photographed the whole cemetery and documented everything they
had done. AND they have also sold lots in the old part to people who
recently moved to the area but they have not had any records since
the 1950s when they burned in a house fire.  I have that information
in a letter because no one had any records or deeds and someone
wanted to buy some of our unused lots. By the way, they were $10
in 1896 and I would have to sell them for $10 today. If I gave them
to the cemetery association, they could then sell them for the
going price today.

Now you know why I get involved with cemeteries. They cannot
rest in peace.