NYHIST-L Archives

January 2001

From:
gerard Koeppel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:30:59 -0500
I've just joined the list, so this reply is probably too late, presumably for
a deadline of yours long past. The Croton Maid was presented by the NY Water
Commissioners to the NYC Fire Department on June 22, 1842 at the ceremonial
opening of the York Hill (Yorkville) Receiving Reservoir, when water from the
Croton aqueduct was first let into the reservoir. The weekly <Brother
Jonathan> reported (July 2, 1842) that the Commissioners floated about on
"the tub" before giving it to fire officials. (This, and the Commissioners'
earlier subterranean navigation through the aqueduct on the boat, is in my <
Water for Gotham> (Princeton, 2000). I was never able to find out what
happened to the boat. Perhaps try the NYC Fire Museum or NYC fire historians,
they more likely than water historians, given that the boat was passed to the
fire people.