NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

From:
Bonnie Glickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:54:47 -0700
Phil Lord wrote:

> A check of the Federal place names database for New York State reveals no place name "Thendara" so this is a dead end for researching historic
origins.  An old card index of New York State place nmes, however, reveals
a card as follows: "Thendara, Unincorp. village, Town of Webb, Herkimer
County; There is no record of any early history or name origin. WPA"

Phil:  Could you please explain what the Federal place names database is?
Also, what is the significance of a town NOT being listed when you know it
exists, such as Thendara in this case.  I just did an InfoSeek search for
just "Thendara" and of the first 10 listings, 5 were for the New York town
in Herkimer County.  (Some of the other sites might have clues on the
meaning of the name - I didn't take the time to check them out...)

Are the Federal place names database and the card index you mentioned
available for public use and/or on the Internet?  Are you located anywhere
near the NYS Archives?  (Just as a ref. point, as I have been there doing
research.)

Thanks, Bonnie Glickman  Rochester NY